About Elanora Uniting Church
The Yugambeh language people are the traditional custodians of the land which the church sites are located. For more information please go to www.yugambeh.com
Elanora Uniting Church was formed in 1983, when the Palm Beach Methodist, Currumbin Valley and Tallebudgera Presbyterian Churches combined. It was officially dedicated in 1983 as part of the Southern Gold Coast Parish of the Uniting Church in Australia which includes Tallebudgera and Currumbin Valley.
The Manse was built in 1982-83 and in 1989 Uniting Blue Care bought some of the land to erect an aged care facility, which today includes 14 Independent Living Units, a Hostel for ongoing care and a Dementia unit.
Rev Glennis Holden 2000-2010
Rev Ian Lord 2010-2015
Rev John Gill 2016-2017
Rev Catherine Solomon 2019-present
Currumbin Valley Church – the church was opened in 1927. The valley was a complete farming area at that time and people were not so mobile as they are today. So the church came to the people, just as did the school. There were three one-teacher schools in the area at that time.
The church was part of the Presbyterian denomination, and 50 years later became a Uniting Church. In the early days ministry was led by a Home Missionary. In 1957 an ordained minister was appointed to the larger Burleigh congregation with responsibility for Currumbin and Currumbin Valley congregations. At that time a service was held once a month. Later, services increased to 3 Sunday’s a month and Sunday School started with 42 children.
In 1987 many of the farms had been subdivided into acreage blocks and new families moved to the valley. Two services a month commence and a small Sunday School re-established in 1999.